Dundee Surgical Skills Centre in collaboration with The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
Simulation Based Education for Surgeons (SBES)
Date: Monday 21st June 2021
Venue: Online Interactive Course
With increasing use of simulation base training for surgeons, it is important to ensure that all surgeons delivering simulation training are appropriately trained. In this one-day online course from the Scottish Surgical Simulation Collaborative (RCSEd & RCPSG), participants will explore theory and practical tips for using simulation in surgical training. It will be particularly useful for those running local skills clubs, monthly teaching day, boot camp or other courses within the Scottish IST pilot, but applicable in many other settings.
This Course is Suitable for all involved in surgical training,
including surgical trainers and trainees, IST faculty.
- Pre-course online materials to explore education theories.
- Online teaching explaining application of theory with practical tips.
- Series of online break-out groups, which will involve developing, delivering, evaluation and assessing of simulation-based training in surgery.
To enable participants to design and deliver an educationally effective simulation-based course in surgery.
By the end of this course participants will be able to:
- Describe the benefits, utility, and limitations of various types of simulation, for technical and non-technical skills training.
- Explain models of skills acquisition, to select modalities of appropriate fidelity to deliver specific learning outcomes.
- Effectively debrief with integrity, and to evaluate the simulation-based episode.
- Develop appropriate methods of assessment in SBE, understanding the importance of constructive alignment within the curriculum.
Course Fees £75 Course Fee £50 Course Fee for RCSEd and RCSG Members/Affiliates
Convenor Dr Vanessa Kay, Director of Surgical Skills, Dundee Institute Healthcare of Simulation